Friday, June 26, 2009

The Four Elements of Nature





For this project, I wanted to use the classical elements of nature; air, earth, fire and water as a theme. Since most of the elements represent goddesses or femininity, I wanted to use female models. When I think about goddesses of ancient Greece I think of women wearing long flowing dresses. I decided to have each model represent a specific element. I attempted to associate the elements with colors and environments that I felt best represented that element.

I decided to pair a portrait image of each element with a darker side to each element. I wanted the darker side of each element to essentially show how that element can harm or kill someone. Too much earth could result in being buried alive. Too much water could result in being drowned. A lack of air can lead to suffocation and too much fire could result in catching on fire.

No comments: